In one fell swoop you can get all three of the Godfathers of German Gothic CDs. The download links are found below. Bitrate, 256.
This took a lot of scanning and cropping from the booklets. I did not include the adverts--just the band pages and covers. The translations and your comments to band bios would be appreciated. My German is rudimentary, and each page would be a major undertaking to even summarise. I hope you like this, and it leads to more information on the bands, and ultimately, some new sounds to hear.
You may click the band hot-links in the track listing to my related posts, as well as the relative posts of our pals Curious Guy and Goutroy.
Disc I starts off well, and II follows decently in its path, though the inclusion of multiple tracks was a disappointment. I felt more bands could be learned, rather than get 2-3 songs from an LP or EP I would eventually track down. By disc III a handful of newer and seemingly "one off" artists seem to be used as filler while so many bands got overlooked. This last CD in the series is dedicated to the "espirit of the Gothic Female." The exclusion of many band photos in favour of hum drum pictures of Gothic Club girls a bit annoying to the music searcher. But overall, Jay Kay's efforts to bring this music some attention is much appreciated. For one, it led this New Yorker on a long hunt for so many of the bands since buying the first compilation in 1994.
Sadly bands like The Evil Speaks, Happy Straps, Taste of Decay, Parchment Prayer, Dass, The Scarlet Letter, Pink Turns Blue, etc., leaves us with some especially weak gaps in the story.... A story I hope to tell over time.
Key to select bands:
* This is a band I am anxious to hear more about--either their story or their music.
# This will be posted by me soon, now that I am opening a can of worms.
Posts by Phoenix Hairpins. Band name is hot-linked to their post.
Posts by A Viable Commercial. Band name is hot-linked to their post.
My own posts are hot-linked back to the original.
The covers and booklet scans of all three volumes are
Godfathers of German Gothic (vol. I)
01. Calling Dead Red Roses - Calling Dead Red Roses
02. Marquee Moon - Don't Go Out Tonight
03. Printed At Bismarck's Death - In Scapa Flow #
04. Asmodi Bizarr - Remember Dorian
05. Maerchenbraut - Weichet Wichte
06. Der Fluch - Betet Für Uns
07. Remain In Silence - Lonesome Hours
08. Invisible Limits - Thoughts
09. Deine Lakaien - Love Will Not Die
10. Danse Macabre - Wear Away
11. Sweet William - In Fear Of A Swirl *
12. Malaria! - Tod #
13. Chim Chim Cheree! - Remember The Rain
14. Chaos Z - Einsam
15. No More - Theme For Angels In Big Cities
16. Cyan Revue - Frozen Fields
01. They Fade In Silence - Misery
02. Stimmen Der Stille - Intro
03. Stimmen Der Stille - Warten
04. Stimmen Der Stille - Todeslied
05. Geisterfahrer - Schatten #
06. Circle Of Sig-Tiu - Virus
07. Marianne Rosenberg - Rhapsodie In Blut
08. Unlimited Systems - When It Rains
09. Hoodoo - Dead Paper #*
10. Aus-98 - Schwarze Raben
11. OHL - An Meinem Grab
12. Die Klopferbande - Resignation
13. Die Klopferbande - Appell 83
14. Die Klopferbande - Ritual
15. A Question Of Despair - Passion
16. Mask For - Cascade
17. Strafe Für Rebellion - New Music Sister
01. Moloko + - Trance
02. Moloko + - In Meinen Taschen
03. Belfegore - Nacht In Sodom
04. Die Unbekannten - Don't Tell Me Stories
05. Dress'd In Black - The Bridge *
06. Matthias Schuster - Ritual IV (Remix)
07. Blue Kremlin - Wasserwüste
08. Holy Orange - Morella *
09. The Electric Avantgarde - Cute 15
10. Mega Vega - In A Silent Night *
11. T.H.E. - Once Again
12. Girls Under Glass - Bad Dream
13. II. Invasion - Graue Katzen *
14. Lachende Seelen - Manchmal
15. New Trial - Heaven Asylum *
16. Wasted Doom - Hijacked Plane #